Built Not Bought
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forza Motorsport Roleplay Server Est 2011

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted...

Go down 
+8
MosukeKodoSan
Kru Jones
ExtremeTurboLag
APX maroman
Falken HD
TRK
Cougar
xCalluumm
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
ONI Synyster
Mr. DIY
ONI Synyster

Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted... - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted...   Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2013 12:11 am

Wow. Good story my friend! Like the step by step commentary Wink
Back to top Go down
xCalluumm
Master Mechanic
xCalluumm

PostSubject: Re: Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted...   Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 3:35 pm

BRZ EJ Swap - Part III

Well, today is going to be fun. After having the stock engine out last night, today I will be ordering performance parts for the EJ25 and most importantly, prepping the Engine bay for the Installation.

I noticed from the info I had for this conversion, that I would need to fabricate some custom engine mounts. I called up a local custom parts shop and they supplied me with some strengthened Cusco mounts that would bolt right up to the BRZ bay.

Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted... - Page 4 $(KGrHqNHJEIFENw3Uu0CBRFd45EjLQ~~60_35

Once I received the mounts, I bolted them into the Engine bay to see the fitment. They bolted in fine and were really secure.

I decided to start working on the EJ by stripping down the Engine and rebuilding it with an AMS Advanced Engine Rebuild Kit. The kit comes with JE Pistons and Upgraded Wrist Pins, Clevite Main and Rod Bearings, Manley H-Beam Rods and an OEM Subaru Engine Gasket Kit all for $1549.95. Let me tell you now, It was worth buying this kit as while I was examining the block, one of the Rod Bearings had been spun. Cylinder #3 didn't even have a bearing and all the others were in bad shape.

Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted... - Page 4 SANY0625
That's cylinder #3's rod cap. There was no bearing... It feels like 50 grit sandpaper to the touch.

Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted... - Page 4 SANY0643
Let's just say that when that shortblock is done, It'll handle up to 700whp and 28psi.

I sent the block and the heads away to be ported and cleaned up. Holy crap, the amount of shit that came off them was unreal. Here is a picture of one of the heads.

Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted... - Page 4 LWGuDl
It's Immaculate. <3

Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted... - Page 4 Assy23
Assembled head with ARP Studs and Cosworth Gaskets in the background.

The block came back after being bored and put together at S&R Performance. The work they have done is excellent!

Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted... - Page 4 Imag0546
I smell a heap of power now.

There is also a funny side to the block build, too.

Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted... - Page 4 IMG_3448
Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted... - Page 4 IMG_1555

I set aside all my stuff and got to work joining the Heads to the Block, which was probably the hardest job as I didn't want to rush it incase I ended up stripping the fine threads on the studs. The first thing to do was put the ARP head studs into the threaded holes on the block, then the Cosworth 1.1mm head gaskets were lined up with the holes and lightly pushed down the length of the studs. Now that the Gaskets were in their place, I could now start lining up the holes on one of the Heads and slowly push it down the studs to join the gasket. Then the same process for the other Head. Then all I had to do was bolt them up using the correct torque spec and done!

Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted... - Page 4 P4040177
Et Voila.

With the long block completed, I jumped on the Internet to look for Performance Parts to make a lot of power. I wanted a responsive Intake, Exhaust and Turbo setup, so I chose the Cosworth EJ25 Intake Manifold with optional TGV delete kit which I ended up painting BLAAACK for the stealth look. There were lots of Exhaust options to choose from but I wanted a system that would give me noticeable turbo spool and lots of ear bleeding noise, So I made a hybrid Exhaust setup using a Perrin Equal Length Header joined up to an AMS Cast SS Up-Pipe and 44mm Tial Wastegate. I chose a Precision Turbo PT6235 Turbocharger rated to 700 HP. Next was the Downpipe, Which is going to be a Heat Wrapped Catless Downpipe. I chose the TurboXS Catless Downpipe which features a huge cast 304 Stainless Steel Bellmouth that tapers to 3.0" piping where it connects to the catless mid-pipe. I also added the Turbo XS Race front-Pipe because of the added noise. After that, I wanted a y-pipe. Perrin released their new y-pipe so I had to get that. For the Muffler, I chose to have 2 4" Slash cut tips with no resonator. I can't wait to hear how this sounds.

Next up was Intercooler choice. Again, I wanted a stealth setup, so I went for an AMS EJ257 Upgraded Front Mount Intercooler with a Blow Through MAF.

With all these parts minus the Turbo back part of the Exhaust system installed, the Engine looked fucking sick just sitting on the Stand.

Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted... - Page 4 5c6534fe
Looking good...

Well, that day was truly hectic and also amazing.

Join me next time where I will finally be dropping the engine into the BRZ and sorting out options for Cooling, Oil and Engine Management!

Last edited by xCalluumm on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cougar
BNBPD
Cougar

PostSubject: Re: Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted...   Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 3:44 pm

Nice read!
Back to top Go down
xCalluumm
Master Mechanic
xCalluumm

PostSubject: Re: Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted...   Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 3:48 pm

Thanks mate, cant wait to start on the 'YouKnowWhatJDMbuild' Wink

It took me 2 and a half hours to think of shit to type. :/
Back to top Go down
Cougar
BNBPD
Cougar

PostSubject: Re: Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted...   Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 14, 2013 3:52 pm

Haha, it takes me forever to find things too!

Fucking internet.
Back to top Go down
xCalluumm
Master Mechanic
xCalluumm

PostSubject: Re: Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted...   Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 12:09 pm

Just a short update.

While building the BRZ, I went out and bought a new car.

I wanted something Japanese with a 6 Cylinder Engine and lots of Capable power.

So, I went and shelled out $28,000 on a JDM 1998 Toyota Supra TT. With 320 BHP from the factory, it has great performance with minimal turbo lag. I had the choice of an Supra or a Skyline R34. I chose the Supra because it was cheaper and had a better powerband and less turbo lag than the R34. I do plan to get as much power on the stock bottom end as I can because the 2JZ Turbo blocks can handle up to 600hp with stock internals. But, I heard that somebody in Colorado called Louis is planning to run over 800 hp on his stock 2J...

A BRZ Update is next. Smile
Back to top Go down
xCalluumm
Master Mechanic
xCalluumm

PostSubject: Re: Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted...   Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 2:03 pm

BRZ EJ Swap - Part IV

I finally got round to getting the EJ dropped into the BRZ.

I rolled the Engine Hoist over to the Stand and chained the Engine up. I double checked that everything was tight and proceeded to pull the Engine off the Stand. Once the Engine was off the Stand and dangling from the Hoist, I pulled it over to the front of the car. Before lowering the Engine into the bay, I bolted the Cusco mounts to the block. I started to lower the Engine slowly into the bay, checking under the car and watching the clearance in the Trans tunnel. Within 10 minutes, the Engine was sitting in the bay, still chained up. I went and bolted the block mounts to the holes in the bay. I tried to hoist the Engine up to check everything was tight. The front end of the car lifted off the ground, which was a good sign. I unchained the Engine from the hoist and got under the car to bolt up the Transmission mounts.

After the Engine was tightly secured to the car, I went under the car to bolt up the rest of the Exhaust system. I had to Heat Wrap the Downpipe because it was centimetres from the Engine Harness. The Exhaust system was really easy to install and only took 10 mins to bolt up.

I went onto my computer to look at Cooling Solutions and also some Engine Management. I chose to go with a Mishimoto Radiator and a GReddy 10-row Oil cooler with braided lines and AN fittings to sit in front of the Radiator for maximum air flow. To keep all the power and fuel running safely, I got an AEM Series 2 ECU which features Real Time tuning software. Also, to run the boost safely, I opted for a Turbosmart e-Boost Electronic Boost controller which is capable of safely handling up to 40 PSI of Boost. I wanted to add some more gauges so I could keep a watch of everything. I made an aluminium panel with space for 4 gauges where the A/C module was. The gauges I chose to put in were Transmission Temperature, Differential Temperature, Turbo Temperature and Block Temperature. I also fabricated a drivers side gauge pod for the MPG Gauge, Air-Fuel Ratio Gauge and Oil Temperature. Instead of having an OEM Gauge Cluster, I swapped it with a Motec Digital Dash + LED Shift Lights. I was able to customise the layout of the Interface, So I configured it to add the Boost reading, Fuel Tank Level Reading and G-Meter.

After receiving the ordered electronics, I mounted the ECU in the glovebox and also mounted the Boost Controller where the Radio used to be.

I wired everything up to the Engine and Harness and finished the day with Filling the Engine up with Fluids and Priming the Turbo. Once the Turbo was Primed, I went and began to start the Engine on a basic Break-in tune. I turned the key and the Fuel pump engaged, then I turned it once more and the Engine started cranking, Within 5 Seconds it started to come alive and it was very VERY loud. I couldn't even hear myself think for a moment. There was the normal turbo smoke coming from the Exhaust housing and out the mufflers. I let it run for a bit to get the temperatures up to where they need to be. The Exhaust sounded so nice, putting your ear up to the rear muffler you could hear the turbo echoing slightly. Once the temperatures were up to normal, I got back in the drivers seat, held the clutch in and gave it some short low revs not going past 3000 rpm. I wanted to have a bit of fun with the car, so I gave it some more higher revs which sounded awesome! There was so much popping and banging coming it was unbelievable. I grabbed my laptop and plugged it into the car, Opened up the tuning software and set the 2-Step launch control to start at 5500 RPM. Here is a clip of how that sounded. (with the Exhaust Valve closed for my own ears sake)

It was getting late, so I decided not to put the front bumper back on as I would be going to the Dyno the next day.

Stay tuned for the next update from the Dyno!

This is where all the money the spent will be put to the test...
Back to top Go down
xCalluumm
Master Mechanic
xCalluumm

PostSubject: Re: Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted...   Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 4:10 pm

Shit's getting serious.

By Summer time (July-ish) i'm hoping to have enough cash saved up to buy a brand new R35. Yes, you read that.

Last things to buy are some wheels for the BRZ, and Coilovers and Wheels for the Poopra.
Back to top Go down
xCalluumm
Master Mechanic
xCalluumm

PostSubject: Re: Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted...   Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 7:22 am

Bump, Might have the last BRZ update out later today...
Back to top Go down
xCalluumm
Master Mechanic
xCalluumm

PostSubject: Re: Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted...   Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 4:26 pm

BRZ EJ Swap - Final Update

Spent the last few hours of the night making sure the BRZ was ready for the 2013 NASIOC Dyno Day at Racing Greed in Canada.

I had bought an enclosed trailer the day before to protect the car from being stolen.

I got up at 1AM, had a shower and went out the back to the barn. It was just starting to get bright, because summer. I opened the barn doors and reversed the trailer up to the front of the barn, opened the trailer doors and drove the BRZ up the ramp and into the trailer. I hired a 2012 F-150 Raptor to pull the trailer up to the Dyno Day. Armed with 5 Cans of Red Bull to keep me awake, I began the 13 hour drive to the US/Canada border. With speed limits almost everywhere, I risked it and gunned it when there was nobody around to get there by 4PM as the Dyno was booked for 4:30. It is such a long and boring drive up to Canada.

I was actually surprised that there was no waiting line at the border, just had to stop for the patrol to check the raptor and the trailer. Everything checked out good so I pulled away across the border and into Canada. The Raptors clock said 15:48 when I was coming into the border crossing so that gave me plenty of time to stop off for a leg stretch and to inform the rest of the guys that I am in Canada.

The GPS in the Raptor made me go through the Pacific Rim National Park. The roads going through the mountain range were just spectacular. I found a straight bit of road that was about 2 miles long, so I put the Raptor in cruise control and let my feet rest. I could hear some faint noise behind me, so I pulled over onto the side of the road and went to check the trailer. Nothing was wrong with it, so I got back in the Truck and let it idle for a few minutes. Out of nowhere a convoy of cars came screaming past me one by one with about 2 seconds between each other. I could only catch a glimpse of the first 3 cars which were an R35 GT-R with what sounded like straight pipes, a MKIII Supra maybe with a 1/2JZ and a Shelby GT500 Super Snake. I pulled away from the side of the road and gunned it after them.

With absolutely no luck catching them, I gave up. I quickly got back onto the highway and picked up the speed in order to get to the Dyno in time. The GPS said I would be there in 23 mins, I mumbled "You sure?" and dropped it from 5th into 3rd and gunned it. I got to 107 and backed off down to 75. I took the next off ramp leading into 'Victoria' the capital of British Columbia.

It was 16:02 and I was pulling into the car park of Racing Greed. The guys had an NASIOC banner so I would know where to park. I got the Raptor parked up with space to back the BRZ out of the trailer. When I got out of the Raptor, people switched their attention to the what was inside the trailer. I got in the BRZ and turned the key. I left the first fuel pump to cycle the 91 Octance from the tank through the injectors for about 15 seconds. There was no Ethanol in the fuel cell so I was going to go round to the fuel station to fill the secondary fuel cell with E85. When the pump stopped cycling, I turned the key to the 'On' position which brought the car to life. People had their cell phones out taking pictures and videos of me backing out the trailer...

*Continued*
I eventually started the BRZ up and it was VERY loud. I couldn't even hear myself think. I forced the Transmission into Reverse and began to slowly back out the trailer and down the ramp. At this point, hundreds of people were crowding round the car to get a photo and/or a video clip of it. There were so many people crowding round that I actually had to 'ask' them to move. Well, that was the cars job haha. To move people out the way, all it took was a quick blip of the throttle hitting 2-step and some added Exhaust flames to shift them.

When I finally got out of the crowd, I cruised down to the bottom of the car park entrance. One of the NASIOC guys was at the entrance waiting for the last few members to turn up. As I was passing him, I rolled down the passenger side window to tell him I was going round a couple of block to warm the Engine up and get some Ethanol. I rolled the window back up, then got let out onto the road. Obviously I had to do a huge launch right at the Traffic Lights which poured tire smoke everywhere. I took a 5 minute drive to the nearest Ethanol station and filled the fuel cell with half a tank of E85, let it cycle through to the secondary injectors and then drove back to the dyno.

I got back to the Dyno and parked the BRZ next to the Raptor and opened up the bonnet. This was a glorious sight to many because I was the first person to swap an EJ25 into the ZN6 Chassis. After everything calmed down, it was time to start the dyno sessions. The shop were doing it as a first come first serve basis so there were sheets given out with the number of which session they were in. I was in session 12/24.

The first few sessions were great to watch, but unfortunately, 2 people blew their Engines. This made me very nervous.

It was then my turn. I was so anxious. In my head, I was like "Fuck it" and went for it. I lined up the car on the rollers then let the Dyno technician take over. I walked over to the side of the dyno next to where the computer screen showing each result was. Moments passed by, and the car was beginning its first run... I configured the fuel system to run on 91/93 Octane, then to switch over to Ethanol as soon as it hits positive boost. The car began to accelerate slowly, shifting through the gears up to 4th. Then it was foot to the floor. As soon as the Engine hit boost, it had zero traction whatsoever because I left the stock rear rims and tires on, and all you could hear was the wastegate dump pipes screaming on and off while the car struggles for traction. It was having none of it. So, before the second run started, I ran to the trailer and grabbed the WedsSports SA-97 F's which are wrapped in 275mm Toyo R888's. I quickly rushed back to the BRZ, jacked it up, swapped the shredded rear tires for the 888's and I was then ready to put down a second run. The results on the 1st run was 437hp/404tq. It'll produce a lot more this time. For the second run, the boost was cranked up from 28psi to 35psi. The run was cleared to go.

The car was again accelerated slowly up to 4th gear, then it was foot mashed to the floor. It sounded so fucking beautiful. The 888's gave it so much traction, but you could still see small pieces of rubber flying behind the car haha.

Results from the last run were spectacular. 595HP/504TQ at 35PSI.

Here's a sound clip of the run:

All the custom work was so worth it in the end. So happy with the results.

Going to stay in Canada over the weekend to get the BRZ properly tuned, then i'll return the Raptor and drive the Scooby back to Colorado.

Thank you for following this build and I hope to see you out on the streets with your awesome creations!

Last edited by xCalluumm on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cougar
BNBPD
Cougar

PostSubject: Re: Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted...   Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 5:42 pm

Nice!
Back to top Go down
xCalluumm
Master Mechanic
xCalluumm

PostSubject: Re: Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted...   Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 12:22 am

Bump, added last part to final BRZ update.
Back to top Go down
xCalluumm
Master Mechanic
xCalluumm

PostSubject: Re: Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted...   Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 4:33 pm

I can now afford a GTR. Should I? I don't know what I want.
Back to top Go down
iTonehh
Wheels And A Drop

PostSubject: Re: Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted...   Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 7:17 pm

xCalluumm wrote:
I can now afford a GTR. Should I?

I don't understand the question.
Back to top Go down
xCalluumm
Master Mechanic
xCalluumm

PostSubject: Re: Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted...   Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 8:06 pm

Okay...?
Back to top Go down
iTonehh
Wheels And A Drop

PostSubject: Re: Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted...   Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 8:11 pm

xCalluumm wrote:
Okay...?

I don't understand that question either.
Back to top Go down
xCalluumm
Master Mechanic
xCalluumm

PostSubject: Re: Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted...   Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 8:12 pm

What is it?
Back to top Go down
iTonehh
Wheels And A Drop

PostSubject: Re: Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted...   Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 8:30 pm

xCalluumm wrote:
What is it?

I don't unde.. I'll stop now. What I was getting at, is you said you have enough money for a GTR, then questioned if you should get one.. What was there to question? xD
Back to top Go down
xCalluumm
Master Mechanic
xCalluumm

PostSubject: Re: Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted...   Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted... - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 8:53 pm

Umm idek.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted...   Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted... - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Callum's Horizon Warehouse - Soon to be converted...
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4