Built Not Bought
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forza Motorsport Roleplay Server Est 2011

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Exceptional Garage of LainfordExpress

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
LainfordExpress
Wakaba

The Exceptional Garage of LainfordExpress Empty
PostSubject: The Exceptional Garage of LainfordExpress   The Exceptional Garage of LainfordExpress I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 10:08 pm

The Exceptional Garage of LainfordExpress 8101244363_4b61dd3c0b_z

Specifications

Car: 1985 Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX
Power: 128 hp
Torque: 110 lb-ft
Weight: 1974 lbs
Class: C353
Cost: $13,800
Budget: $11,200

Engine & Power

Engine: 4A-GE, 1.6L NA I4
Air Filter: Stock
Intake Manifold and Throttle Body: Stock
Fuel System: Stock
Ignition: Stock
Exhaust: Stock
Camshaft: Stock
Valves: Stock
Displacement: Stock
Pistons and Compression: Stock
Turbo/ Supercharger: None... yet
Intercooler: N/A... for now
Oil and Cooling: None
Flywheel: Cusco Lightweight Sport Flywheel

Platform & Handling

Brakes: Stock
Springs & Dampers: Techno Toy Sport Non-Adjustable Coilovers
Front Anti-roll Bars: None
Rear Anti-roll Bars: None
Chassis Reinforcement and Roll Cage: TRD Street Strut Tower Bar
Weight Reduction: Sport Weight Reduction

Drivetrain

Clutch: Cusco Sport Clutch
Transmission: Stock
Driveline: Stock
Differential: OS Giken Race Spec-X Super Lock Adjustable LSD

Tires & Rims

Tire Compound: Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 Sport Tires
Front Tire Width: 205
Rear Tire Width: 225
Front Rim Size: 16"
Rear Rim Size: 16"
Rim Style: Wedsport TC 105 N

Aero and Appearance

Front Bumper: Stock
Rear Wing: Origin
Rear Bumper: Stock
Sideskirts: Stock
Hood: Origin (fiberglass, clearcoat only)

Last edited by LainfordExpress on Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:09 pm; edited 13 times in total
Back to top Go down
LainfordExpress
Wakaba

PostSubject: Re: The Exceptional Garage of LainfordExpress   The Exceptional Garage of LainfordExpress I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 10:09 pm

BNB BANK STATEMENT

--------------------------------------------
10/15/2012

$25,000 -- Opening Account Balance

-$6,000 -- Toyota AE86
-$2,000 -- Cusco Lightweight Sport Flywheel
- $500 -- TRD Street Front Strut Tower Bar
- $1,300 -- Cusco Sport Clutch
- $0 -- OS Giken Adjustable Limited Slip Differential
- $1500 -- Bridgstone Potenza RE-11 Sport Tires, 205F, 225R
- $1500 -- 16" Wedsport TC 105 N
- $400 -- Origin Rear Wing
- $400 -- Origin Fiberglass Hood (clearcoat only)
- $200 -- (charge to make hood fiberglass)
- $0 -- Stickers from parts (1 each)
- $0 -- Small BNB Sticker

$11,200 -- Closing Account Balance

10/24/2012

+ $500 -- Photo Competition Participation
+ $6,000 -- Paycheck

$17,700 -- Closing Account Balance

10/26/2012

- $3,000 -- Bought S13 from KrazyWolf

$14,700 -- Closing Account Balance
10/27/2012

+$1,000 -- BNB Car Cruise Participation

$15,700 -- Closing Account Balance
10/30/2012

-$3,750 -- 4A-GZE from iTonehh
-$6,300 -- Race Springs and Dampers
-$5,000 -- Race Front & Rear Anti-Roll Bars
- $500 -- Sport Oil & Cooling
+ $200 -- BNB Online Lobby Participation

$350 -- Closing Account Balance
10/31/2012

+ $200 -- BNB Online Lobby Participation

$550 -- Closing Account Balance
11/1/2012

+$6,000 -- 11/2/2012 Paycheck

$6,550 -- Closing Account Balance
11/2/2012

- $1,000 -- Sport Air Filter from (\/)1KE0
- $2,000 -- Sport Exhaust from (\/)1KE0
- $1,500 -- Sport Transmission from (\/)1KE0
- $500 -- Sport Driveline from (\/)1KE0

$1,550 -- Closing Account Balance
11/8/2012

+ $4,500 -- Sold S13 to somebody
+ $6,000 -- 11/8/2012 Paycheck

$12,050 -- Closing Account Balance
11/15/2012

+ $6,000 -- 11/15/2012 Paycheck

$18,050 -- Closing Account Balance
11/23/2012

+ $6,000 -- 11/23/2012 Paycheck

$24,050 -- Closing Account Balance

Last edited by LainfordExpress on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:49 am; edited 12 times in total
Back to top Go down
LainfordExpress
Wakaba

PostSubject: Re: The Exceptional Garage of LainfordExpress   The Exceptional Garage of LainfordExpress I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 10:10 pm

Update #1 – 10/1/2012
Well, I’ve begun my three year work assignment in Japan. I’ll be working at the Honda transmission manufacturing facility in Hamamatsu, Shizouka Prefecture, in the Chubu Region on the largest Island in Japan, Honshu. Hamamatsu is a coastal city in the southwest corner of the prefecture. While the city itself is in one of the larger plains of Japan, Shizouka is known for its mountains, the most famous of which is Mt. Fuji. I’m really excited to be here; it is a fantastic opportunity for someone like me, just starting out in my career with Honda. Hopefully in the next few years I’ll be able to learn a lot about the culture and maybe even pick up some passable Japanese! One of the biggest things I’ll miss is my car and driving in SCCA autocross events, which I did frequently back home in Ohio. Despite the exorbitant costs of automobile ownership in Japan, I’ve found a place to store a vehicle about one hour away (by train) up in the mountains. I’ll only be able to enjoy it on the weekends, but I want my own car for a couple of reasons. First, growing up a fan of Japanese cars, there are a bunch of cool cars that I always liked, but could never get in the US, and, I want to be able to explore this country on my own, just like I’ve done in the various parts of America I’ve lived, from behind the steering wheel.
Back to top Go down
LainfordExpress
Wakaba

PostSubject: Re: The Exceptional Garage of LainfordExpress   The Exceptional Garage of LainfordExpress I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 10:10 pm

Update #2 – 10/6/2012

Well, dreams of a Skyline or S15 Silvia have been dashed. Man, cars are really expensive here. It hasn’t been exaggerated enough in magazines back home. I’m going to have to aim a little lower. I’m not even sure my back up plan, a DC5 Integra Type-R or EK Civic Type-R has much of chance. Those little cars seem hard to find, plus, from my experiences driving S2000s with the SCCA, I really want rear wheel drive. I guess I’ll have to look a little older, maybe S13s or an AE86? I’ve heard old cars can be tough to keep street legal, though. I’ll have to look into it some more.
Back to top Go down
LainfordExpress
Wakaba

Update #3 – 10/8/2012

I’ve identified two cars. Both currently have emissions exemptions; thankfully the region I’m registering the car in isn’t a strict as in the major cities, otherwise, I think these would be sent to the crusher and recycled into a fancy trashcan or ASIMO or something ridiculous that is so ubiquitous over here. First is an 1985 Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX, what we’d know as a Toyota Corolla GT-S. Second is a 1992 Nissan Silvia CLUB K’s, basically a fancy higher-end version of the first gen Nissan 240SX. Both cars have the same asking price, about $6,000 (It’ll be easier if I just convert stuff from yen for you). I’ll probably go with whichever one is in the best condition.
Back to top Go down
LainfordExpress
Wakaba

PostSubject: Re: The Exceptional Garage of LainfordExpress   The Exceptional Garage of LainfordExpress I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 10:11 pm

Update #4 – 10/10/2012

Well, I bought one! Went with the Trueno. I just liked driving it; the S13 probably has a higher ceiling, but something about these little cars just makes me smile, plus I’d never have been able to get the Silvia as light at this car will be. Enough jabbering, here’s the details:

1985 Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-APEX $6,000

White, some rust on the hatch, driver's door and fuel filler door. Was hit in the passenger side, but already has been repaired with junkyard parts, grey fender and red door. The bumper also took some damage and has been hastily repaired with zip ties. Also, the driver's rear bumper has a couple of cracks that the previous owner covered up with some duct tape. He also found some time to remove a bunch of unneeded interior parts, a good sporty weight reduction ($0).

Fiberglass Origin Hood ($400+$200), black Origin rear wing ($400), and Techno Toy aftermarket non-adjustable sport suspension ($0), were already on the car. The suspension is decent, but I'll be saving up for a nice set of double-adjustable remote-reservoir Motons and a bunch of springs so I can change spring rates for my application.
Back to top Go down
LainfordExpress
Wakaba

PostSubject: Re: The Exceptional Garage of LainfordExpress   The Exceptional Garage of LainfordExpress I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 10:13 pm

Update #5 – 10/12/2012

I went ahead and ordered some parts for my little hachi-roku (eight-six, as its called here). First up, while waiting for my parts to arrive, I went through the car and removed a bunch of unnecessary crap. It’s down to a nice weight for the street ($0). I’d like to remove more, but for now I still want HVAC and the stereo system.

Next, I slapped on a TRD front strut tower bar. Not very exciting, I know, but I think I can feel a little sharper turn in , appropriate chassis reinforcement for the street ($500), Clutch was shot, so I replaced it with a Cusco sport clutch ($1300). While in there I replaced the flywheel with Cusco lightweight sport flywheel ($2000) as well. I'd thought that the diff was a stock unit the previous owner had welded up, but when I got in there I found it was a trick OS Giken adjustable racing limited slip differential ($0) that he'd set to full lock up, nice! I changed the order of the plates a little bit to tune the lock-up strength and transition.

Lastly, I'm going to be ordering some fresh rubber ($1500) and new wheels ($1500). For the tires I've settled on Bridgestone Potenza RE-11s, 205/55ZR16 Front and 225/50ZR16 Rear, but I can't decide on wheels. Definitely no bigger than 16", as old cars look silly with giant wheels, in my opinion. Anybody have any suggestions? Right now I'm leaning towards Watanabe Cyclones, but I would like something that would take to painting a little better, should I decide in the future I don't really want black. Maybe Volk TE37s?
Back to top Go down
LainfordExpress
Wakaba

PostSubject: Re: The Exceptional Garage of LainfordExpress   The Exceptional Garage of LainfordExpress I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 10:13 pm

Update #6 – 10/15/2012

Finally got the car registered. It was kind of an ordeal, but we’re good to go now. I can’t wait to get this thing out there on the touge! I had a blast getting it home, but was tense the whole time, driving an uninsured, unregistered old beater on public roads with expired plates just isn’t very smart. Anyway, that’s done with.

I have some plans for this little car, obviously more power is on the way (why else install such a beefy clutch?), but I’m thinking the suspension should get some more attention first. Also, the car looks pretty rough, maybe it’s time to start getting it ready for a respray…
Back to top Go down
ratR0
Event Organizer
ratR0

PostSubject: Re: The Exceptional Garage of LainfordExpress   The Exceptional Garage of LainfordExpress I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 10:33 pm

Nice update on the progress! I am a big fan of the Weld Magnum III wheels. Light weight, deep dish with a chrome lip, and they can be painted. (although you have to "paint" them with another set of wheels on and then swap them back on the car to get them the color you want)
Back to top Go down
Cougar
BNBPD
Cougar

PostSubject: Re: The Exceptional Garage of LainfordExpress   The Exceptional Garage of LainfordExpress I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2012 10:36 pm

Epic read buddy, keep it up!
Back to top Go down
iTonehh
Wheels And A Drop

PostSubject: Re: The Exceptional Garage of LainfordExpress   The Exceptional Garage of LainfordExpress I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 4:04 am

I love this, I'm planning on doing this, with step by step pictures of all the updates I do, hopefully before this weekend. Might I add that the Volk TE37's look boss on the AE86's, hop over to my garage and have a look at the last picture I posted, thought mine are only 15".
Back to top Go down
LainfordExpress
Wakaba

PostSubject: Re: The Exceptional Garage of LainfordExpress   The Exceptional Garage of LainfordExpress I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 12:09 am

Update #7 - 10/18/2012

I've got my little hachi-roku roadworthy. It is definitely fun, I'm really enjoying sliding it around. I entered a photo competition, and am hoping my battered Trueno can turn some heads. I tried to capture the feel and thrill of that first day out in your new car. I hope I win, the prize is awesome, cash and a 240SX!

I read something the other day about an AE86 owner's club. I'm thinking I should join, and why not? Could be fun, and maybe it'll help me get a line on some used parts. Either way, it'll be good to share in the comraderie of driving around a car that older than me and smells faintly of old cheese!
Back to top Go down
Mooove
Mooove

PostSubject: Re: The Exceptional Garage of LainfordExpress   The Exceptional Garage of LainfordExpress I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 2:06 pm

good reads!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Exceptional Garage of LainfordExpress   The Exceptional Garage of LainfordExpress I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Exceptional Garage of LainfordExpress
Page 1 of 1