Built Not Bought
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forza Motorsport Roleplay Server Est 2011

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because)

Go down 
+16
Ilarnek
RyanHappyHands
Hris13drifter
PortableCorpse
Luccbag
loader98
Tacomaa
Kru Jones
DB BeeDee
ONI Synyster
MichaelC
Old King
DIS OldManTiger
AC x Stunner
Cougar
addiem0nster
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Hris13drifter
Cut Springs

BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because)   BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 1:29 am

See I always saw Haro as preppie bike company. To tell you the honest truth they rode dave mirra, and ryan's fame to glory for to long. S&M was like the misfit people's bike company.
Back to top Go down
addiem0nster
Junkyard Junkie
addiem0nster

BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because)   BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 1:35 am

Yeah, you could tell they weren't targeting kids, mostly the older crowd with the way they named their parts, haha.

I'm still a huge Nyquist fan, but the Backtrail is way too heavy for me. And the Mirra 540 bikes were a little too... cheap? I never liked the welds on them, always figured if I went dirt jumping on one I'd snap it in half first day out - and I'm only 130 pounds.
Back to top Go down
Hris13drifter
Cut Springs

PostSubject: Re: BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because)   BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 1:42 am

Thats what happen to my fit after casing a 20ft dirt take off to wood landing
Back to top Go down
addiem0nster
Junkyard Junkie
addiem0nster

PostSubject: Re: BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because)   BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 10:12 am

Got my frame.

BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 8888902120_6dd90b8043_b

1988 GT Vertigo ST - the poor man's Performer. 4130 chromoly front triangle with high-tensile steel rear end. Doesn't have the Performer's 990 brake mounts but does come with upper and lower rear caliper brake bridges.

After a quick wipe down with some WD40...

BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 8888280149_8bbb7efe7d_b

It's been ridden, and hard - that much is obvious from the typical wear and tear of a bike from this era. The lower head tube cup was cracked in several places, and one of the bottom bracket cups had gouges in it from the ball bearings being slammed into it during hard landings. There's also a small dent in the top tube near the head tube, but nothing to worry about. The coaster brake tab and bottom bracket cable guide have been cut/ground off for weight and feeble grinds and stalls. One of the dropouts was a little tweaked inward, but tightening the axle nuts pulls it back in line.

BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 8888280039_d52e28cabc_b

BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 8888900078_f43c613178_b

BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 8888901346_05eb42e5c4_b

Not 100% rideable yet, but the rest of the necessary parts are in the mail - Black Ops layback chromoly seatpost, KMC Z410 nickel-plated chain, and a Curb Dog front brake lever to go with my super silly dayglo Xposure one. I also have a black Viscount Freestyle seat to put on it. The crappy department store parts will be replaced as money comes in from my art projects or hopefully I land a job in the forseeable future. Some upgrades will include:

Weinmann DM30 spoked wheels
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Black Ops 4130 bars, which I will curbstomp to a flat backsweep like us flatland dudes did in the '90s

Dia-Compe Tech77 locking levers

VP alloy pedals

Flangeless AME Tri grips

Odyssey 1999 calipers

Rad-as reissue Cheng Shin skinwalls in white

And when I find them, a decent stem (GT Piston likely) and a 4130 fork. I also need grip tape for my slippery-ass WalMart pegs.

For some nostalgia, here's what I usually had playing on my cassette Walkman (CD players were terrible for riding) when I would go thrashing, circa 96-99.

THIS is Green Day. I don't know what the hell happened to them since then.
Back to top Go down
RyanHappyHands
Mr. DIY
RyanHappyHands

PostSubject: Re: BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because)   BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 12:28 pm

BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 Char_610

Are you going to get those pictures Framed?

But seriously that thing looks mad as hell addie
Back to top Go down
addiem0nster
Junkyard Junkie
addiem0nster

PostSubject: Re: BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because)   BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 7:20 pm

Haha, it's a Frankenstein POS right now, but the frame is relatively legit as hell. I'm debating posting it at BMX Museum so they can tell me how I wasted a good frame on POS cheap parts and how when I bust my face 'cuz my fork breaks they'll laugh.

They'd certainly have a coronary about the Walmart mag wheel in back, nevermind the fact that it's actually pretty light and is machined aluminum with sealed bearings. But whatever. I keep staring at it, as if willing the chain, seatpost, and brake lever to magically appear so I can put them on and go ride the damn thing.

Truth be told, I'm just beyond stoked to have a chrome 80's frame again.
Back to top Go down
MichaelC
Junkyard Junkie
MichaelC

PostSubject: Re: BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because)   BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 7:24 pm

THAT is green day.

Basket case
Brain stew
Welcome to Paradise

Not that new stuff
Back to top Go down
Ilarnek
Mr. DIY

PostSubject: Re: BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because)   BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2013 12:48 pm

Not really BMX but it is bike related (and I couldn't find the MTB thread :c ).

Took my bike out of storage yesterday and there was surface rust on almost all bolts and some of the frame, managed to clear it all off now and it just needs a wash down, but my question is, does anyone have tips for keeping rust off the bike apart from keeping it in a dry place all year round?
Back to top Go down
MosukeKodoSan
Junkyard Junkie

PostSubject: Re: BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because)   BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2013 12:54 pm

petroleum jelly works well as a barrier for items left out in wet conditions for long periods
Back to top Go down
Ilarnek
Mr. DIY

PostSubject: Re: BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because)   BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2013 2:11 pm

was thinking oily rag?
Back to top Go down
addiem0nster
Junkyard Junkie
addiem0nster

PostSubject: Re: BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because)   BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2013 3:38 pm

WD40 and a dry rag. Just spray the metal parts and wipe it down now and then. The WD stands for "water displacer", and will remove any unwanted moisture from the surface of the metal.

If you have pesky surface rust built up that won't go away, here's another option:
Back to top Go down
Ilarnek
Mr. DIY

PostSubject: Re: BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because)   BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2013 4:47 pm

Yeah I got the rust off with a wire brush and WD40, need to get another can of it and i'll give it ago. Cheers Addie, looking to start riding everyday and getting myself into the downhill scene by the end of the summer.
Back to top Go down
TRK
TRK

PostSubject: Re: BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because)   BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 02, 2013 6:18 pm

My bikes which I haven't touches in quite some while now, sadly..

My Specialized Vegas:

BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 13217015

Dirtbike, has pegs on the rear (sorry for the catalogus pics, I'm too lazy to walk to my garage) and some other small mods.

My Specialized Fuse IV:

BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 13217016

Streetbike, has some other mods as well but no pegs. More a cruiser.
Back to top Go down
addiem0nster
Junkyard Junkie
addiem0nster

PostSubject: Re: BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because)   BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 03, 2013 3:48 am

Very rad, Tim!
Back to top Go down
TRK
TRK

PostSubject: Re: BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because)   BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 11:53 am

Thanks to you guys I've been going out BMXing again, thanks!
Back to top Go down
addiem0nster
Junkyard Junkie
addiem0nster

PostSubject: Re: BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because)   BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2013 5:12 am

HOLY SHIT I THINK I'M GONNA BUY THIS

Back to top Go down
Arctiiik
Wakaba

PostSubject: Re: BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because)   BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 11:26 pm

Does using a BMX bike on dirt trails count? If so that's the only thing we have to do for "BMX" in my town.
HOLY BATCAKES IT'S TIM!
Back to top Go down
addiem0nster
Junkyard Junkie
addiem0nster

PostSubject: Re: BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because)   BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 2:34 am

Haha, if you ride you ride, man. So long as you get out and have fun!
Back to top Go down
addiem0nster
Junkyard Junkie
addiem0nster

PostSubject: Re: BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because)   BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 6:43 pm

Just ordered like $100 worth of stuff to modernize my 80's bike a little.

Used Sinz 4130 bars - $24 shipped! I was gonna get some chromed-out kneesavers, but the shipping was more than the bars... wtf?
BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 9184372291_0a76b5e9dd_z

Subrosa Hold Tight frontload stem
BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 9186591666_1f650b5f95_z

A new set of my favorite grips ever (seriously, been using them since I raced at eight years old) Oury waffles, in SUPER DAYGLO PINK. The website says the color is impossible to capture by mere mortals, haha
BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 9186606242_b3791782ca_z

And a 4130 quill adapter to allow me to use 1 1/8" stems with my 1" headtube!
BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 9186606076_4a7e3874c6_z

I also got two headset spacers but those are just colored metal washers so yeah. Pretty stoked.
Back to top Go down
TRK
TRK

PostSubject: Re: BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because)   BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 7:09 pm

Heeeeey, it's me! Haha!

BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 9195508954_3317a2ff9b_b
Back to top Go down
addiem0nster
Junkyard Junkie
addiem0nster

PostSubject: Re: BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because)   BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 7:33 pm

:3
Back to top Go down
AC x Stunner
Mr. DIY
AC x Stunner

PostSubject: Re: BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because)   BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Addie you're the best person to ask. I need to do a clean and easy all white coat over for my bike. Do you have a personal tutorial or know of a good one. Thanks my man!
Back to top Go down
AC x Stunner
Mr. DIY
AC x Stunner

PostSubject: Re: BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because)   BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 7:55 pm

BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 Trike_10
Back to top Go down
TRK
TRK

PostSubject: Re: BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because)   BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 10:00 pm

I jumped a speedbump at topspeed but landed with my weight transfered a bit too much to the front.
Wasn't enjoyable on the wrists.. After doing a couple more I found out the sweet spot on weight transfer, yay!

It's a shame that I don't want to take the risk to do the more daring stunts.. I've got too much to lose at the moment.
Maybe once I'm done with Uni I'll take a year off! :]

Wallrides is what made me stop BMXing in the first place..
Back to top Go down
addiem0nster
Junkyard Junkie
addiem0nster

PostSubject: Re: BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because)   BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 10:01 pm

Haha, I'm still too chickenshirt to tilt my bike sideways and try a wallride. XD

EDIT: And Stunner, I'm working on an art commission at the moment, but when I have a moment I'll write up a quick tutorial. It's super easy, just make sure you have the right materials, is all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because)   BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because) - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BMX stuff - old/mid/new school and beyond! (also skateboards because)
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next